Total War: Warhammer

I'm going to do a short review of this and update it when Wood Elves expansion comes out.

I've tried campaigns with all the races and found the Empire one to be the most fun. You have a decent combination of troops- infantry, cavalry, missile, siege and magice which is fun.

You also have a central starting position which means games can go different way. If the greenskins start well they can put a lot of pressure from the south. You have the vampire counts to the East, Brettonians to thewest and other human groups around you as well. It is your quest to reforge the empire but you have the choice to do it either through brute force or diplomacy. Each enemy leader has different traits so this spices things up too.

The hero characters in battle also make the game more fun than the historical Total Wars in my opinion- although some are a little overpowered. After gaining a few levels a Orc or Dwarf hero can defeat a medium sized garrison with no troops supporting him. There are also quests to complete to upgrade your legendary equipment. I didn't do too many of them. Perhaps they would feel more necessary on higher difficulty levels (I played on normal).

In my campaign I didn't expand too quickly. I wanted to keep powerful allies rather than have to do everything myself. Luckily the dwarves managed to keep the greenskins busy so I was safe in the South. The Bretonians also had others to fight in the East so didn't attack me. I could focus on building up my economy to deal with the upcoming Chaos invasion.




The first one was a real struggle. Much of the North East was devastated but an alliance of humans and dwarves managed to hold them off before they got to my territories. I could then rebuild the destroyed settlements of my previous allies after they were willing to join because of their weakened states.



 Between Chaos invasion the Skaelings can get pretty strong but once you are allied with enough other leaders you can push them back too.



The second chaos invasion was comfortable and after that their were a lot of allied dwarf and Breton armies in the North (blue flags) so I could concentrate on defeating the vampire counts (red enemy flags in the east) to complete the victory condition.



Although I didn't enjoy the other campaign as much I would give this an 8/10. I havn't played much with the beastmen but they should make things more interesting in the south west and south east. I look forward to seeing how the Wood elves changes the campaign.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metro 2033 redux

Weekend gaming

Alien Isolation Review