A-Z Backlog challenge: Call of Duty: World at War

As with the other AAA games where you can find 1000s of reviews online about I'm going to keep this one short and just give a few thoughts on this one.


Call of Duty: World of War is an impressive technical accomplishment. Dozens of men and vehicles will act pretty intelligently and you really feel part of the action. The graphics are also very good- seeing a head and limbs being blown off from close range is very impressive. There are also a number of different guns to use. But is it any fun?

 
I would say yes and no. There are two stories being followed. I found the American missions through the islands of Asia pretty boring. The fighting through the ruined streets and buildings of Europe was better. The best ones were those that switched things up a bit. In one Russian mission you need to focus entirely on sniping. In another you are controlling a tank. There was only one American mission which was a bit different- in it you control turrets on a plane trying to rescue soldiers at sea.



Some may feel I am being a bit harsh as multiplayer is generally focus of the Call of Duty games but I'm looking at whether it is worth being now. I would say unless you are getting it as part of a bundle you probably shouldn't bother. I think there a number of other FPS games I am more likely to replay.

Release year: 2008
Steam price: $9.99
Cheapest sale price: $4.99
Score: 6.8




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metro 2033 redux

Weekend gaming

Alien Isolation Review