MLB 2k11

Hadn't played a baseball game since EA sports MVP which I didn't think much buy enjoyed some on old consoles. With MLB 2k12 being released the older version was available for $10 so thought I'd give it a go.

Many people have complained at how difficult it is and I certainly did find it that way at first. I only got about 1 hit in my first 20 at bats and 1 in my first 40. But I stuck with it and by the end of season 1 was up to close to .250.

The fact that both you are going to improve and your in game attributes improve to make things easier is something people seem to ignore and instead bitch and moan. By season 2 I had changed over to all star level because I was hitting over .300.

Fielding is also prett difficult at first as your player is slow and with low catching ability lets the ball seemingly go right through him. The sudden changes in camera angle as the ball is coming to you can also be problematic.

Other things people have had issues with is the fact that baserunners seem too fast and outfielders too slow. I would agree this is the case but the solution is not just as simple as making the outfielders faster because this would mean more catches and less base hits as well influencing all averages and run scoring.



One thing that is a bit annoying is how bad your teammates seem to be at bringing you home. If you're not on base (the game is being simmed) and someone is in scoring position with 0 or 1 out the batters will almost always bring them home either through hits or sac flies. However when you on base they'll strike out or pop up infield regularly.



I've not tried pitching yet but have just finished my 4th season as a Cf/Rf for Toronto. Recently had my best game for the team


I really enjoy that you work your up from AA to AAA up to the majors and that you can be demoted again if not playing well. I also like that you have goals each time you at the plate plus occasionally to steal base when at 1st base. When in the majors you also get series goals eg to have an average above x, steal x bases, get x walks etc. You can also choose a season goal for yourself at the beginning of the year plus you have a team goal based on the team's performance the previous year.

Unlike in the NBA franchise you don't get virtual money from your contract. You also don't have any interviews. I think the fact that the season is twice as long means it is understandable you'd want to play through games/weeks quicker. You do have occasional training sessions to improve your skills and a mentor who comments on recent performances but that's about it. The news from around the league as also far more threadbare than in NBA 2k12.  The thing I most dislike about the game is the trade system. If you want to be traded you just say where to and you are just transported there with no one going the other way. You also don't need to be playing well as there's no system of other team's interest in you.

Despite this I still prefer it and at half the price is a great bargain so if you like the sport and aren't too bothered about updated roster sfor this year give it a try.

Rating 7.5/10. Value (at purchase price of $10) 8.5/10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metro 2033 redux

Weekend gaming

Alien Isolation Review