NBA 2k12

Started playing on My player mode and thought I'd share my thoughts on the game so far.
The presention seems good. I like the half time reports telling you what is going on in other matches at the time and coming up. I also really like the news reports between games telling you about possible trades, players being promoted and demoted etc.

In terms of the on court action the controls seem pretty good and the points scored by each teammate is quite similar to reall life which is good.

I created a 6'9 Small forward and focussed on defense. Will try start as a Rodman type player and then become more like Pippen once scoring abilities improve. It's pretty tought though as you start pretty slow, weak and with a poor vertical leap.

I got drafted by the Knicks which I was happy about. I figured with Lin, Stoudamire and Carmelo when I improved the team would be good.

Early on I managed to get 5 rebound and 5 assist games. Recently my best one was 10 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists.



 Also managed to get 0 tournovers in a 25 minute plus performance.

After 22 games we're 11-11. Lin's poor defense and tendency to run into traffic and take bad shots is frustrating. As you can see below rookie point guard Irvine took him to the cleaners.



You get skills points for all the obbvious things: scoring, assists, rebounds but also for defending well by being very close to the shooter. You lose points for letting your opponent score or committing a turnover.

With the skills points gained my main changes were to increase passing from 45 to 50. Layup from 55 to 60 and offensive rebounds from 40-45. Expect a few extra second chances to help win games.




One problem I have with the mode is that it is scripted in a way that is unrealistic. Firstly you're asked question in post match interviews as if you're an important player even when you doing little. Worse than that after starting as the player given the 7th most minute that is soon changed to 6th. Now I'm starting ahead of Anthony despite him being best player in the team and 4th top scorer in the league.

April edit- After being traded to the lakers i found things very easy. Won 7 games in a row. Changed the level up to all star- level. Here is where huge problems showed. The game is clearly not been developed with My player mode in mind. Now your opponents become decent but your teammates totally useless. Blake (starting pg) hit 0/11 shots in one game. The next game Gasol decided to start shooting 3s and long range shots all the time (despite having shootin 3s tendency of 0%) Next game against a far inferior team I took far more shots (got 70% fgs) but team got outrebounded 3-1 in offensive rebounds and opponents shot 60% from 3pt range.




There needs to be a level in between pro and all star where both opponents and team mates play ok. At the moment seems My Player mode is unplayable unless you want it to be simple (on rookie or pro mode) or if you play as a guard who does a huge amount of scoring and defends well outside, although this probably won't help with the rebounding.

I will have another look at the game after/if another patch comes out but for now changing my rating to 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metro 2033 redux

Weekend gaming

Alien Isolation Review